Pages

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Review: LA Colors Glittering Starlet Eyeshadow

If you've never shopped at Cherry Culture, I highly recommend it. I've made a few purchases from there in my time and I always make sure to purchase just at $40, because that's when you get free shipping!!! Also, there are often BOGO deals and sales on some great products. And it's not just some of the more inexpensive brands (like L.A. Colors, which I'm about to review) but also stuff like Eyeko and Sugar.

This review is on the Glittering Starlet Eyeshadow. I first looked at this product because they are an insider pick, reviewed by Vanessa at Nessasary Makeup. I purchased two of the palettes: Audrey and Ginger. All of the palettes are named after famous stars. (Elizabeth, Marilyn, etc). I picked these because I loved the colors! I'm a sucker for pinks and purples (Audrey) and I also love darker colors (Ginger).

Price: 5/5
The price is $3.99 at Cherry Culture (on sale for $3.50 right now!). So, you are getting 10 shadows for $4, basically. That's 40 cents per shadow!!!!
Packaging: 5/5
Comes with two double ended sponges and a small mirror. The top of the case is clear so you can see all the shadows. The back so cute with stars and glitter all over. :-)
Application: 3.5/5
See, the glitter drops it a bit, because glitter is hard to work with. And you have to use something to get the colors to really stand out. Not all of them are really well pigmented. But if you do use mixing medium or base, the look so fabulous.
Overall: 4/5
Would I repurchase: Oh yeah!

See the palettes and swatches of the colors (click for larger image):
L.A. Colors Glittering Starlet Eyeshadow in Audrey

Swatches of Audrey

Glittering Starlet Eyeshadow in Ginger

Swatches of Ginger

The eyeshadows are not swatched on top of a base, but I did dampen my brush when swatching. I have to say, that black is one of my favorites. Most of the colors are shimmery, but the black is matte with the glitter on top. I have done a smokey eye with the three colors on the bottom left of Ginger (the sliver, blue and black) and let me tell you, it turned out great!

One thing about these, the glitter is a bit chunky. It is by no means a finely milled shimmer shadow. But, the good thing is, it's not just a shadow with a glitter on top. You ever get that where the glitter is just sitting on top of the shadow? How much does that suck? But the glitter is worked into all the eyeshadow. I always use a base when applying my eyeshadow, so I can't tell you how well it stays without one, but with one, it stayed very well, not creasing at all.

Without a base or mixing medium, not all of the colors show up well. The well pigmented ones are (numbering the top row 1-5, bottom row 6-10): Audrey 3,4,5,6,7,8,10; Ginger all but 7. The others are good, but need to be built up a bit.

Below is a look I did using : Audrey3 in the inner 1/2 of my lid, Ginger5 in the outer half; Audrey2 as a highlight (I was feeling funky); Audrey4 to line my lower lashes. (NYX Sky Teal for mascara.) I did try to brush away most of the glitter because I was concerned about fallout during the day. My lower lash line (I don't know if you can tell) still has glitter on it, though. I like how that looks. However, another time I used this palette and did not brush the glitter away and I did not experience a lot of glitter fall out during the day. A little maybe, but I have a bad habit of rubbing my eye sometimes. This was easy to remove and surprisingly, I didn't have problems removing the glitter. Don't rub your eye back and forth, that's the problem. Soak a cotton ball in eye makeup remover and press it to your lid for a few seconds to let it soak in. Then, wipe away gently. Do it that way, and you won't have problems with getting glitter all over the place.

Note: my camera washes out the colors a bit. I'm going to have to find a setting that makes the colors show up better.






Note: I just checked Cherry Culture and there are FOUR new Glittering Starlet Palettes: Bette, bright bright bright; Jean, golds and browns; Ingrid, purely pink; and Claudette, an array of bold beauties. Bette is currently sold out. No surprise! I can't wait to try Bette and Claudette.
What about you? Interested in trying any?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ginger. You know...she could do everything Fred could do backwards and in high heels.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the information. This review is on the LA Colors Glittering Starlet Eyeshadow is very good. I love Eyeshadow.......

Thanks

Anderson
my site

Anonymous said...

Nice post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.