Pages

Monday, March 23, 2009

Nail Care

Normally when I do my nails, I don't really take care of them. I clean off the polish with a nail polish remover an a apply the next color, along with base and top coats. Today, I decided to actually give myself a manicure. My nails are thanking me as we speak. My cuticles look a lot better, my polish looks better. My nails look pretty darn good.


First, I removed the existing polish with Sally Hansen Moisturizing Polish Remover. It works really well, but I can't speak to how much it moisturizes. I just never took notice. But I've been using the stuff for a while. Could be, if I switched to something non-moisturizing, that I would notice right away.


Next, I used Sally Hansen Problem Cuticle Remover, which I bought a few months ago, but only used it once. Didn't really notice anything. I took it out today and followed the directions: Apply a thin strip of Problem Cuticle Remover around cuticle and under nail. Massage into cuticle. After 3 to 5 minutes, gently ease back cuticles with Manicure Stick. Wash away excess with warm, soapy water. Huh, I definitely didn't follow those directions when I used it last time. So, I follow the directions. Afterward, my horrible cuticles were much improved. They appeared healthier and they were pushed back, so my nails looked better.


After applying the color, I used Avon Anew Ultimate Transforming Hand and Nail Cream. (whew! What a mouthful!) This product claims to:
"Visibly reduce fine wrinkling and strengthen nails and cuticles with a cream that reduces blotchiness and produces a naturally radiant, even skintone."

I can't really assure you if it does that. I don't think I have any significant wrinkling on my hands. It was a very thick cream. It feels a little greasy I think. I am not sure I love it. I might try another cream next time.

Another thing I am working on to improve the appearing of my manicures is the way I treat my nails. I am being more careful about when I use my nails. It takes some work to type without using my fingertips, but I'm getting there. I have stopped opening soda cans and taking out staples with my finger nails, and I've seen a marked improvement.

All in all, I think my hands look nicer. They definitely feel better. I am thinking that it might be worth it to take a little extra time when I'm doing my nails from now on.

2 comments:

Gel-Nails said...

Interesting content.

Just wanted to share some information that may help busy professionals caught up with work and who have less time to maintain their nails. You can try out gel nails which are now becoming a hot favorite as they are natural looking even without nail tips and the best way for nail enhancement. Also, if you are allergic to those strong smelling chemicals which you can experience with acrylic nails, then you should use gel nails as these are odorless.

However, when you are planning on gel nail application, make sure you approach a nail salon or a nail artist who is well versed with gel nails and is properly trained and mastered in gel applications. This will save you from problems that can arise with improper gel nail applications.

Gel-Nails said...

Good information.

I came across many queries in several forums where people have been asking for advice on the best glue that can be used on nails and that is not only strong but also safe on nails. This was the same question I had sometime back when I used to apply nail gel myself. Initially the glue I got would never hold on the way it used to when done in the salon. I then came across the nail glue being sold on gel-nails which lasts very long and is pretty easy to apply. It provides a strong bonding for my nails and also does a great job in repairing the nail tips.

Most important of all is that this is strong glue I was actually looking out for and this is used by nail salons and nail artists for professional applications. It is available at a cheap price at gel-nails and I remember seeing it at a discount of 74% which is great. Maybe this can help if you also face problems relating to poor glue quality as I did earlier.